PUAEME005A Provide pain management
This Nationally Recognised Unit of Competency, PUAEME005A Provide pain management course covers the appropriate knowledge and competency required to administer restricted analgesics (paracetamol and Methoxyflurane) to relieve pain, as a part of a medically supervised first responder organisation as well as the State/territory licensing procedures for the storage and administration of drugs apply to this unit.
Suitable for current workplace First Aid providers with either HLTAID002 or HLTAID003.
- Identify the need for analgesia
- Contraindications and precautions for use of analgesic drug are identified and use being appropriate for casualty is confirmed
- Communicate with casualty to provide comfort and instruction in the use of analgesic drugs as required
- Access and prepare analgesic
- Administer analgesic
- Perform casualty handover
- Complete analgesic use requirements
- Pain Management
- Storage and documentation
- Request for an ambulance and/or medical assistance according to relevant circumstances and report casualty condition
- Use literacy and numeracy skills as required to read, interpret and apply guidelines and protocols